Due to the increased population, traffic and distracted driving, cities throughout Massachusetts and Rhode Island tend to see more auto-pedestrian accidents annually. These accidents can happen while crossing a busy street like Davol St. (Rte 6) in Fall River or even in a more pedestrian friendly environment like the shopping area of Downcity Providence. Regardless, getting struck by a car while walking will most likely leave the vulnerable pedestrian with serious catastrophic personal injury and possibly wrongful death.
- Distracted driving
- Failing to yield to pedestrians at crosswalks
- Disobeying traffic signals or signs
- Failing to use directionals
- Disregarding poor weather or traffic conditions
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Tips For Drivers to Help Prevent Auto-Pedestrian Accidents
- Always follow posted speed limits – especially in areas of heavy pedestrian traffic. This is more important in areas that have lower speed limits, such as school zones and neighborhood streets where pedestrians are likely to appear.
- Keep your lights are on and use your signals properly – Overall visibility is limited in worse weather conditions and poorly lit areas. Not only is it harder for drivers to see oncoming pedestrians, it also is difficult for pedestrians to see vehicles. Exercise extra caution in these circumstances.
- Watch out for pedestrians when pulling into and out of driveways – especially if you are backing out. Pedestrians can easily enter your path without your knowledge.
- Always yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk – Allow enough room between your vehicle and the crosswalk so other drivers can see the pedestrians you have stopped for.
- Make driving priority one! – Distracted driving is a leading cause of car accidents in general, and auto-pedestrian accidents are no exception. In the quick moment that you look down to check a text, a person could appear in front of your vehicle. Wait until you get to your destination to take care of texting, emails, eating, etc…
Contact An Experienced New Bedford Auto-Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been the victim of any type of a pedestrian accident due to a distracted driver’s negligence, make sure to talk to one of our experienced attorneys. We’ll help you to get the settlement that you deserve.
*The above is not to be considered as legal advice. Every case is different and the laws which apply may differ from state to state.