According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, motorcycle accident fatalities have steadily increased throughout 2014-2016. There are many different factors involved in motorcycle accidents, from inexperienced riders with too much horsepower to lax helmet laws from state to state. Of course one of the biggest dangers to bikers on the road in Massachusetts and Rhode Island is, you guessed it… distracted driving. The best way to avoid motorcycles accidents is for both bikers and drivers to practice safety.
Safety Reminders for Drivers:
- Motorcyclists have the same rights, privileges and responsibilities as other motorists.
- Always allow motorcyclists a full lane width.
- Give motorcyclists extra distance when you are behind them.
- Always check your mirrors and blind spots for motorcyclists before changing lanes.
- Always use your directionals when changing lanes or merging.
Safety Reminders for Motorcyclists:
- Remember to wear your helmet and never let any passengers ride without one.
- Wear reflective clothing / tape whenever possible.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- Ride defensively. Expect that drivers around you are driving distracted.
- Stay seated while riding a motorcycle.
Protect Your Head
It cannot be emphasized enough that you make sure you and your passengers are always wearing protective helmets. It may not be the law in every state, but it’s common sense for safety. Make sure to check out the helmet laws in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Contact An Experienced Massachusetts & Rhode Island Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been the victim of any type of a motorcycle accident due to the negligence of a distracted driver, contact us to speak one of our experienced attorneys. We’ll help you to get the settlement that you deserve to help you and your family to move on after your accident.
*The above is not to be considered as legal advice. Every case is different and the laws which apply may differ from state to state.
Photo Copyright: mikcz / 123RF Stock Photo