Multiple car accidents can be complex to sort out because it’s often very difficult to establish “who did what”. Let’s take a look at some of the factors, and what you can expect if you find yourself in this situation…
At The Scene
The police report will usually cite which car is at fault as it examines and explains how the accident occurred. Most often it is one car that started the chain reaction in a multi-car pile-up; however, it is possible for two or more cars to share the blame for a multi-car accident.
The amount of blame or “fault” will be determined by either the police officer who writes the report or by the insurance adjusters, negotiating for an optimum solution. For example, one driver may be deemed to be 80% at fault, while another driver takes the remaining 20% of the blame. It is possible for several people to share in the fault, or even everyone involved sharing some of the responsibility. The more details, cars and people that are part of the scenario, the more complicated the determination of fault becomes.
If you have any questions regarding a car accident that you’ve been a part of, please don’t hesitate to contact our knowledgable team at The Law Offices of Dussault & Zatir.
Photo Credit: rcphoto / 123RF Stock Photo